Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere X485, steering has been jerky in the cold…

I have a John...

I have a John Deere X485, steering has been jerky in the cold weather until it warms up. Now it has quit and my power steering no longer works, and my hydraulic controls to raise or lower the snow blower work doesnt either. Also my front pto quit as well. Checked hydraulic oil, level is up. 400 hours on this unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok thx

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything,

3/10/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

The hydraulic oil for the lift and the steering come from the transaxle charge pump. It appears that you have lost the flow from the transaxle to the selector valve. Check for damage to the hoses on the charge pump going to the selector valve. Either you have a pinched hose or a valve stuck in th e charge pump area.

Thank you for your reply; I will check the hoses for damage. In the second schematic you sent me what what number on the picture is the suspect valve in the charge pump?
I also will drain the hydraulic oil and install a new filter at this time as well.

Valve will be in the area where the hose comes off, going to the selector valve.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician