Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Ihave a 1979 massey ferguson mf255tractor. The loader bucket…

Customer Question
Ihave a 1979 massey...

Ihave a 1979 massey ferguson mf255tractor . The loader bucket will not curl upward unless l remove the bracket around the side lever so that travel a longer distance. I am guessingits a problem inside the control valve.need help.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Mf255 with 236 model loader Tractor serial no.9A312626

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

My massey ferguson 1979 mf255 tractor with model236 loader will not curl the bucket upward unless i remove the bracket arond the side levers and push the lever a long ways further than i can with the bracket installed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

It works fine if i do as i described.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/8/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Do you have joystick control or a lever for both control levers? The valve has to move full travel or it would be slow to curl. More times than not it is the control linkage is worn or needs adjustment. There is nothing inside the valve to cause this. It does have a return spring and washers on the bottom cover, opposite the control lever, that can bind, but are not internal to the valve.

I HAVE 2 LEVERS A LIFT AND TILT LEVER THAT LINKS TO THE CONTROL VALVE.NORMALLY IT WOULD TAKE 1 OR TWO INCHES OF TRAVEL TO TILT UP.IT NOW TAKES 4 OR 5 INCHES WHICH IS NOT POSSIBLEUNLESS I REMOVE BRACKET THAT SURROUDS THE LERERS.

Have you disconnected the lever from the spool and moved spool manually? Do both spools move same distance? They should, if the boom moves further, the spool is broken, or the bottom springs and spring washers are loose.

I TOOK IT APART AND FOUND AN ALLEN SCREW ON THE SHAFT WAS LOOSE ITIGHTENED ITAND IT NO LONGER TRAVELS TO FAR. HOW DO YOU ADJUST WITH THE LITTLE ALLENSCREWS ON THE SIDE.I CAN SEE WHEN I HAD IT APART THE LITTLE SPRING THE ROD AND SCREW
I KNOW YOU TURN THE ALLEN SCREW BUT NOT SURE HOW MUCH

Is this the detent that holds the spool in position? It would not require any adjustment. It would just be snugged up.

ONE SHAFT FITS INSIDE THE OTHER THE INNER SHAFT HAS A CAM ON THE END THAT IS HELD TO THE SHAFT WITH A ALLEN SCREW . I TIGHTENED IT BECAUSE I SAW THE SHAFT WOULD MOVE BUT NOT THE CAM .AFTER I TIGHTENED IT IT NO LOGER TRAVELED FARTHER THAN THE LIFT LEVER.
What are the detent are theywhat i am calling a cam? Whatever they are it is up against them that adjusters go

The loader valve is not shown with the loader model. So I don't see what you have. Is this the part in the bottom, opposite the connecting end for the control lever? Can you attach a picture? Using the attaching link near the typing box, a tree or paperclip Icon.??

Look like this?

I can hardly type or navigate these computers

Left click on the link above.

Thanks . Goodbye

Thank you! Please use the 5-star rating system to close the question and get me credit!