Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I am needing to install a distributor on a Ford 800 4

I am needing to...

I am needing to install a distributor on a Ford 800 4 cylinder gas motor. Old unit was removed and not sure how to align a new unit and be in timing etc.. Plan to install a new none point unit. Thanks for any help

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Not sure, all I know is it is a Ford 800 4 cylinder

Just checking on my question that was ask at 10:36am today. Any problem?
3/8/2018
Don
Don, Journeyman

Hi there My name is don i will try to help you on this

What have you tried so far, have you installed the distributor yet ?

lets start there what is your experience level in mechanics

Don

No i have not installed the unit as of yet, I am wanting to make sure I have all aligned an on the #1 cylinder etc... I don't know where the timing marks are located??? I have installed distributors in cars for years but never on a tractor an never one of these PERTRONIX 1244A electronic units. I just want to make sure how all needs to be aligned to install. Please feel free to call me if it would make it easier for you.(###) ###-#### Thanks RER
No call, didn't know it cost that much

hi there Thanks for that great information

what i have seen is people installing the distributor 180 degrees out of time

this is how to make sure you have it right if you have on cars it is the same process

remove number one spark plug i usually use a rolled up piece of paper towel and fit it tightly at the plug hole so that it just enters the spark plug hole then either have some one bump the engine over alittle at a time once the number 1 cylinder is at top dead center on the compression stroke the paper towel will pop out like a champagne cork or wine cork , now you are assured that you are in number 1 position on the compression stroke then you can insert the distributor and find the timing marks

you can install the distributor prior to doin the paper trick and see where the rotor is pointing to on the distributor cap and time the engine from there if you want just do the rotation for the spark plugs

because when you bring the number one up to top dead center on compression the timing marks will be at zero and all you have to do is the advance

Have a great day

Don

Please Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page.

Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required Many thanks

Thanks but didn't tell me where the timing marks are located on this motor.

Hi there

facing the front of the tractor, there is a circular hole (about 1" diameter) on the left side engine plate where the engine mates up to the transmission. It may have a little metal cover covering up the hole. Anyway that"s the hole that you shine your timing light into to see the marks on the flywheel. OR do what I do and just rev up the engine to 1200+/- rpm and rotate the distributor until the engine speed drops, then rotate back in the opposite direction until the engine speed drops again, then go half way between the two locations and you will be in time. Try that first and then check it with your timing light. You"ll be in a good location timing wise.

Don

it would be an extra 15.00 or more on your account if i had to call was trying to save you money

Don

Don
Don, Journeyman