Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

We have a 1999 MF 4270 that has lazy steering, put more air…

We have a 1999...

We have a 1999 MF 4270 that has lazy steering, put more air in front tires to 35 pounds , was 10 or 12,but does not help, you have to go to 1250 rpms to be able to turn the front wheels,checked the filters, cleaned filter houseing and replaced filters, Is this a problem where you need to run the rpm at 1250 or is there a priority valve for the steering. any suggestions would be appreciated , thank you, George

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model # 4270 front wheel assist

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Serial # F35304/000401

3/8/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

I see that you change the filters and serviced the oil but did you find any fine metal or debris or the suction screen for the pump plugged that would restrict flow to the pump by chance? If you haven't checked inside the old filter I would open them up if you still have them and inspect some samples to see if there are any signs of metal or trash in the filters that would indicate an internal component problem or pump issue. Lazy steering usually results from lack of flow so this could be a problem with the steering valve itself or it also could be a pump issue. If you go onto a geico.com and use the guest login you will be able to access the parts breakdowns for this model and check the breakdowns for your steering components and valves. I will have to double-check but I believe this may have the priority valve that you were questioning which as you know could be an issue but the parts link that I just mentioned will answer that question for both of us for certain. I am mobile on my cell phone at the moment so I was not able yet to get to my computer to look this up.
Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated and we can still follow up as needed
Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there was just dirt in the filter housing no metal debris, we think it is the priortry valve but do not know where it is
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time and help, appreciated, george

My cell phone auto corrected wrong.... click below for the parts site online

Parts

Agco not Gieco... Smart phones sometimes... haha

That is from the parts catalog link I posted. Let me know if you need further help.

Dan, Technician