Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Need help with hydraulic lift and pump system on 1955 Ford…

Need help with hydraulic...

Need help with hydraulic lift and pump system on 1955 Ford 850 tractor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I need help with a hydraulic 3 point lift and pump system on a 1955 Ford 850 Tractor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I added fluid. Then I hooked an air hose into the dipstick hole while trying to raise and lower the rear lift. I have removed both plugs on the pump itself but I do not know how to prime the pump. It has a lever on the side to engage the power take off and it doesn't seem to be working either. Everything worked fine when I parked it a few months ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has a front end loader operated by hydraulics that seems to be working fine. But the rear 3 point lift wouldn't raise a box blade earlier. I disconnected the arms and they would lift up and down slowly but would not hold any weight. My neighbor weighs about 155 pounds and he could pull the arms down and in the up position they wouldn't lift him up. Now the arms wont lift at all. I can pick them up and let go and they fall down quickly.

I was told my response time on average would be 8 minutes. I have been waiting 3 times that long.
It has been almost an hour and I haven't been contacted with an answer yet. When I can expect to hear from you?
It is late and I am going to bed. I hope to hear from somebody in the morning.
2/17/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Ok do you have sufficient information to respond?

# 3 in the top of the pump, is a plug. remove this plug and use a grease gun to pump grease into the pump cavity, this will give the pump a better seal and it should start pumping. The suction from the transmission has to be vacuum tight, and it has lost its prime if any of the gaskets are leaking, the pump will not suck. See link below.

There are two plugs that are removable with an Allen wrench. When the front one is removed with the engine spinning it pumps out fluid. When the back one is removed I can’t tell if it makes any difference or not.

Remove the back one and pump it full of grease!

Front one is on the outlet/pressure side. The rear should be on the suction side.

Are u getting my responses? I am not getting return messages other than auto responses that tell me nothing.

Yes ,scroll up to see my responses.

I see those but I have asked about how much grease will I need, level of fluid depending on whether or not cylinders are extended, etc., and have not received responses.
I believe we are having trouble communicating. I am not getting responses to my questions. I will contact the customer service department. I don’t want to spend another $26 for phone calls.

You just want to put about a 1/4 tube of grease in the pump, nothing else. Cylinders are not involved.

Tried that and it doesn’t work. How do u know if the pump is primed? Does it need bleeding and if so, how?

Are all the tubes tight with no leaks on the pump base? back to the transmission? All you can do is fill the suction side of the pump with grease or oil, install the plug and try it. Grease has always worked for me on a worn pump.

No bleeding or anything required? When I lift the 3 Point arms and let go the fall like a sack of lead. Does that sound like the pump is the problem?

Yes, no oil is getting to the three point.

Is that tied to the pro not spinning also?

Is pto independent pto, hydraulicly powered or manual pto? If independent, YES.

I don’t know what that means. It is a 1955 850. I can take a picture of it if need be.

The pto can be manually engaged, where it has shft lever and would sometimes grind gears when engaging the pto. The option is a hydraulic pto that engages a clutch pack, which is indepnednt and pto can be engaged at any time, and no gear grinding. I know what the 850 is, I was a New Holland service manager for a dealer.

If u are sitting on it there is a lever on the left side next to the dip stick. I moved it back and forth yesterday with the engine running and the pro shaft did not turn.

We will assume it is an independent pto and has to have pump pressure. Need to get pump working.

Did u get my question about the need to bleed it? If so what is the procedure?

Remove the back plug on the pump and pour oil into it until you can't put in any more, replace the plug and try it! That is the priming!

Ok I read somewhere yesterday that u have to remove the front plug and spin the engine over with fluid coming out and stop when it no longer has air bubbles.

It really does not matter if the front plug is out or not, when pump picks up the fluid, it will self bleed the rest of the pressure side.

Should I remove the back plug, start the engine and pour fluid in it while it is running and if so when do I stop pouring?

WITH ENGINE OFF

Adding grease and fluid has done nothing. Those were really the only advice you gave me.Any other comments I have had to solicit from you like; how much grease, engine on or off, hydraulics extended or not, bleed or not, front plug or rear plug, effect on other features like PTO and so on. I paid good money to fix the problem and it is not fixed. We could have saved a lot of back and forth if you had sai, “sounds like a worn pump that has lost prime. With the engine off remove the rear plug on top of the pump and squirt in a quarter tube of grease. Put the cap back on, start it and see if that helps. If not take that plug out again and fill it with hydraulic fluid and try again.”I asked you about bleeding the system more than once. You finally told me it is self bleeding. However after trying what you suggested and the 3 point hitch wouldn’t lift at all, I tried bleeding. With the engine running, I cracked open the front plug until bubbly fluid stopped running out. I closed it up and the rear lift woul come up slightly. I repeated that process three times and every time I did it the lift came up faster and stronger. However, it still won’t pick up a box blade in the rear but the front bucket will pick up an overloaded bucket of clay. When the rear arms start to go up and get near the top they pulsate like a heart beat. I can press against the pump as it pulsates and feel it in the pump.I have lost money, grease, hydraulic fluid and time and I still have the same problem I had when I purchased your help.Do you have any other suggestions or somebody else I can communicate with that might have other suggestions?

Replace the seals in the three-point piston. Won't lift load, and pulsating can both be leaking piston seals.

Thank you.
Just do that and close it back up? Will I need to change out any check valves or safety valves? Will that also fix the pto not working?

I Always check the valves and springs, but the seals on the piston are more often the problem. Did you ever decide if you have indepenent pto?

I don’t know how to check that. It doesn’t have a separate hydraulic control for it. All it has is a mechanical lever that you push back to engage and it is located on the left side of the case below the seat next to the oil dip stick. How can I tell which one I have. I thought the 1955 850 would only have one type.

So it is a mechanical pto and is engaged by the clutch pedal, and shaft from ptp clutch on the flywheel, through gears, and direct out the pto shaft. With engine off. put pto in gear and see if the rear shat can be turned with a pipe wrench, If pto shaft and clutch are good, it will turn the engine!

I am not sure the handle is moving back enough to engage anything. It only moves about an inch and u hear or feel no click.It has one of those safety clutches on the shaft so will that technique still work?

Yes, it will slip in one direction, so turn it in the other. If it is not going into gear, then it may be the linkage, take the linkage loose at the lever and see if the lever will go further.

Don’t think the pro arm is moving enough to engage. Tried with engine on/off with clutch up or down. No difference. The safety adapter in the tail shaft moves freely in either direction. Tried to send u a photo and short video after clicking AddFiles but never would go through,

Pto lever has a side cover, remove the cover and check the linkage. See the parts link below.

I will try that but I really don’t know what I am looking for when I get it off.

Kook for a broken shift fork, that is not moving the inner shift collar.

Ok it is about to get dark here now. Will have to do that tomorrow. Thank u.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I appreciate your patience and willingness to continue trying different things. I decided to hire a tractor mechanic because I felt like the solution was beyond my small level of expertise. He found a broken safety valve that goes into the cylinder under the seat that probably accounts for the lift not working well. Pieces were in the bottom of the case. In addition the PTO lever pin was badly bent in the center and the handle was moving but not inside the case. It was just slipping. However, we tried to move the gear back and forth that the fork should move to engage the PTO but we were unable to get it to move. I ordered the gasket package, including the rubber and leather piston rings and a new safety valve. When I get those parts back in he will return and place more attention on the PTO gear moving back and forth on the shaft. I a telling you all this so if you should have another person with a similar problem, the information may be of some assistance. I have rated you with 4 out of 5 stars. Thank you again for your help. Rick Ward

Thanks for the update!