Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My sister has a 2440 JD with the 4-sp & 2-sp transmission.

My sister has a...

My sister has a 2440 JD with the 4-sp & 2-sp transmission. (two stick design) It was running fine, we let it set about 4 months, then it would not move. Like there was a rear-end disconnect or such. I can hear some slight gear noise when releasing the clutch like the drive line is turning. The shift levers feel like that are shifting into gears. The gears will grind if you try to shift into gear with the clutch engaged, indicating there is power to part of the trans anyway. I could not find any levers that would disconnect the rear gears for towing or such. Is there any? Can you give us any idea of our problem? We even towed it a little to see if any problems showed up, like odd noise or such. We detected nothing. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don't have it available right now, I could get it and contact you in a day or two if necessary. I knew that could be critical info.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Thanks

2/13/2018
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

what you are describing is the clutch disc is rusted/frozen to the pressure plate, you need to get under there and try to free up the disc, also try put into gear and crank it over

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hi Wayne, If the disc is rusted to the plate, wouldn't it be impossible to shift it into gear? The motor runs, The clutch petal has pressure on it. I've experienced this issue on other vehicles, and we pulled them and jerked them slightly to free up the disc & plate. This seems & sounds like the clutch disc is moving away from the plate, so that we can shift it into gear. Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary

Thank you for the response

This is the opposite, it is stuck on the pressure plate, not the flywheel

stuck on the flywheel that is when you jerk it start it in gear to free it up, but when stuck on the pressure plate, you can go thru all gears

I hope this helps you

I understand now. Makes sense, I just couldn't see it that way. You think there is a way to get to it from the underneath side? Sure don't want to split the tractor. Thanks, Gary

Hey Gary

I go offline at 6 pm CST but do check in with my customers

you may get it thru the inspection plate use a screwdriver to pry loose , clutch pedal down

I hope this helps you

Please remember to rate my answer 5-stars

Wayne, Journeyman
Wayne, I appreciate your assistance. You were very helpful. I bet I can now get it going. You have indeed earned your 5 stars.
Thank You,
Gary

Thank you, Sir,