Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2006 JD 4120 Tractor with the E Hydro Trans, I was…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2006 JD 4120 Tractor with the E Hydro Trans, I was traveling to the neighbors place towing a Hay trailer was in the 3 rd gear range and the speed was aprox, 12 and a half MPH when the tractor started sounding and acting like some gears were grinding a the thing started making all kinds of noise I shifted to the second range and limped home what is the most likely problem?The machine has around 900 hours on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Hi i have a JD 4120 tractor with the E Hydro trans, was traveling down the road the other day in 3 rd gear and around 12 and a half MPH when the tractor started making a grinding and scraping noise tractor has around 900 hours i shifted to 2 nd gear and limped home , whats the most likely problem, and what do you recomend to fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

1/21/2018
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I’m Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

Do you still need help with this ??

I have no answers as of yet I changed the trans oil and filter, still the same problem when in 3 rd gear and rpm at 2800
ok go

Hi

Thank you for the response

I was going to suggest to drain the oil and check for metallic color

it sounds like you have a bearing failing

the oil looks new and clear also I have 30 years in hydraulics in industrial applications, but limited in electronic controlled aplications

thank you for that

I will opt-out and send to another expert

Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

ok I will check off and on

The grinding you are experiencing will be nothing to do with electronic controls on this tractor The only thing the controls are ding is replacing the old style linkage or cable controls. The clutches and gears in the transmission still operate on the same principals. Since you hear grinding that is a gear problem and shift problem which is internal. If you are not seeing metal being produced from this grinding it is either because you are not looking at the bottom of the case or in the filter/screen internally for a good sample inspection. or the problem just started and not long enough for metal production.

Dan, Technician
Phone call session started
what is your recommendation tear down the tractor to locate the problem
When the drain plug was pulled there was no metal present on the magnetic end of the plug

If there is not metal whatsoever, first i would change the oil to be sure Low viscosity oil is in the tractor.... commonly this can be missed and the standard higuard used which is thicker. In a lot of cases this has helped with the noise and cavitation issues with the pump.

Click this link for the parts. Type the model and use the sectional index.

Parts

Let me knowOnce you get the link. Pleasure speaking with you.

Dan, Technician