Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere 8100 4x4 tractor. I’m getting a pcu 24 The…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere 8100 4x4 tractor. I’m getting a pcu 24
The brake pedals are stiff. The tractor comes to a stop once the clutch pedal is pressed
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/21/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Ok

CODE PCU 24

Park brake not holding

See Check Park Brake System in General Maintenance and Inspection Section

Have your John Deere Dealer repair as soon as possible

If park brake OK, key switch may have been cycled while tractor was moving

Do not cycle key switch while tractor is moving

This is for the parking brake rather than the service brake. Check the park brake operation or for problems and for the other possibilities that the park brake was applied while moving.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

The tractor feels as if the brakes arebeing held on.
The pedals are super stiff

thanks for the update. Check for this. See if the tow valve might be causing your problem.

The park brake is spring engaged and hydraulically disengaged. The park brake itself resides inside the transmission and is only responsible to act as a parking brake. The service brakes are in the rear axle and are in no way tied to the park brake system.

One of the most common causes of the park brake not setting is park brake tow valve is stuck down. On the back left upper side of the transmission is the manual park brake button. The button itself is a round flat topped know that stick up vertically next to the transmission control valves. Should the tractor become disabled and need to be towed you would depress the tow valve and pump the clutch until it stays on the floor. Essentially you pump the park brake pressure up using the clutch. Many of the park brake fault codes will be falsely generated when this occurs. If you can pump your clutch pedal until the clutch no longer returns to the up position with the engine off then your tow valve is depressed. Simply pull up on the tow valve and your problem should be solved. If you do not find the tow valve stuck down then let me know

The valve was up.
I put it down and pumped the clutch several times. The clutch always came back up.

Thanks for the update. How is stopping power? are the brakes working poorly?

The brake pedals feel like they are stuck up. No pedal movement

Check the pedals themselves to see if they are mechanically stuck or seized on the shaft by disconnection them from the linkage and valve to see if they move freely. If not, disassembly the pedal assembly and clean them up with emery cloth and lubricate on reassembly. If not in the pedal, check the brake valve for stiffness and if so remove and bench service the valve itself. Click this link to access the parts breakdowns... type model and select sectional index.

Parts

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.