Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

A friend has a Deere D110 that smokes if you fill the oil up…

Customer Question
A friend has a...

A friend has a John Deere D110 that smokes if you fill the oil up to full on dip stick. If he leaves it at the add oil line it does ok. He said if he runs on a hill it will smoke also. ???

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/7/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

This is the Briggs single cylinder engine? The dipstick can be the wrong one, but it would have to be compared to another like unit. Oil level should not be above the level of the block, where the dipstick screws into. The oil smoke on a hill is just another sign that oil level is too high.

Thanks I will check he is about 3/4 blind Need the weather to warm up a little so I can wash the mower it has oil every where

One other thing to check is to be sure the oil is not thinned from gas in the oil.

I see the question is still open.??

I have a mechanic saying it is the rings

It can be rings but need to rule everything out before going into the engine. This engine can fail from the head gasket, very common failure when the engine starts smoking excessively after warm up.