Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Where do I find the freeze plug on a 1996 -Deere 5400

Customer Question
Where do I find...

Where do I find the freeze plug on a 1996 John-Deere 5400 tractor

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you - will he chat as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Can't find where the freeze plug is located - Okay, how do you install an engine block heater

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/2/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Freeze plugs are on the cylinder block, and the ones for block heater are usually on the side opposite the injection pump. Below the exhaust manifold. Depending on the heater element, usually the freeze plug is removed, then the heater slipped into the hole, and has an expanding part, that is tightened, to hold it in place.

This model does not show freeze plugs, here is the optional 1000 watt heater and location where it would go.