Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1993 Case 1840. It has no forward/backward motion.

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 1993 Case...
I have a 1993 Case 1840. It has no forward/backward motion. The tandem pump has been checked and is in working order. After fiddling with the controls, while in reverse, the left wheels started slowly turning forward and then quickly stopped. Controls feel loose, like they're in neutral. Loader and boom are working fine. Levers have been checked. We are owners of a service manual. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/1/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Was the coupler that drives the hydrostatic pumps checked? The hydraulic pump drives off the front of the engine, and not driven by the hydrostat. The hydrostats have a coupler off the flywheel.

it's been checked.

Nothing striped? Cpipler not loose on the flywheel? That is all that drives the two hydrostatic pumps.

Nope.

Are you getting fluid to the pumps from the charge pump and filter? If one pump was bad, it should act up only on one side, with both sides bad, seems to be lack of oil or drive problem.

it's getting fluid.

I see no disconnect on the 1840 series. So pumps just quit?

The pumps work fine.

I see , let me opt out, and maybe someone else has an idea! Sorry,

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help if you still need help. Let me know if you got this resolved or still need help. I will be logged in between jobs as time allows. We can follow up as needed.

Still working on it. Any ideas?

First cut open the hydraulic filter and check for fine metal/debris that looks like glitter in the filter and oil that confirms a pump or component failure in the system. If clean, have the main pressure and pilot pressure checked to verify if they are in OEM specs. Let me know what those pressures are. We can follow up as needed.

Hydraulic filter is clean. How/where do we check the main/pilot pressure?

You can tee in with a guage at the pilot control lines and the same with the main pressure lines at the main control valve. 1000 PSI gauge will be good for the pilot pressure as it usually runs around 550 PSI and main pressure any 6000-10000 PSI gauge will do... Let me know what you get for pressures and deadheading each function bringing to full RPM.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 months ago

Hi Erubey, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.