Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2000 JD 455 that the PTO stopped working while my…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 JD 455 that the PTO stopped working while my tractor was stored for about a month. It worked fine before that but when I started it up the PTO nor the PTO light would come on. The green LED works ok but the red LED doesn't come on at all. The brake switch and the seat switch both work. I have the service manual but cannot figure out where the items that they want me to check are located.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I would hope he is a JD expert because this is JD specific.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
12/29/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Hi Don, I have the service manual for the JD 455 and all of the schematics so I can look things up if I need to. My issue with the manual is the way they say to test the PTO relay without showing the location of it. If you have any requests of me I will do them if I can.
Rudy

Hi Rudy, Thanks for the update.

Run through the functional tests in the operators manual so we can confirm or rule out a brake switch, clutch or safety switch/wiring issue...

Testing Operation Of Indicator Lights

1. Turn key to run position.

M71647

2. Verify that indicator lights (A) and (C) come on.

3. Verify that indicator light (B) comes on and goes out within approximately 8 seconds. If the engine has been run and then cooled, the time may be less. If the engine has been run and is hot, the light will not come on.

4. Verify that the mid PTO light (D) comes on when the engine is off, operator is on seat, park brake is off, and PTO turned on.

If one indicator does not light, see Replacing Indicator Light Bulb in SERVICE-ELECTRICAL section.

If new indicator bulb does not light or no indicators work, see your John Deere dealer.

Testing Brake Switch

1. Unlock park brake and release brake pedal.

2. Try to start engine.

Result: Engine must not start. If engine starts, there is a problem with your safety interlock circuit.

Testing PTO Switch

1. Depress brake pedal, or lock park brake.

2. Pull PTO switch up to engage.

3. Try to start engine.

Testing Seat Switch

First Test:

1. Start engine.

2. Move throttle lever up to maximum engine speed.

3. Unlock park brake and release brake pedal.

4. Engage PTO.

5. Raise up off seat. Do not get off tractor.

Result: Engine should begin to stop and mower blades should stop. If engine does not begin to stop and mower blades do not stop, there is a problem with your safety interlock circuit.

Second Test:

1. Disengage PTO.

2. Start engine.

4. Raise up off seat. Do not get off tractor.

Result: Engine should begin to stop. If engine does not begin to stop, there is a problem with your safety interlock circuit.

Third part of test:

1. Disengage PTO.

2. Start engine.

3. Lock park brake

Result: Engine should continue to run. If engine stops, there is a problem with your safety interlock circuit.

Testing Mower Blade Stop Time

NOTE: This test should be performed once a year or every 100 hours.

Perform this test while sitting on the tractor.

1. Start engine.

2. Engage PTO.

M47474

3. Watch left-hand side mower spindle (A). Disengage PTO, mower spindle should stop turning within 5 seconds.

Result: If spindle does not stop within 5 seconds, the PTO brake needs servicing. (See your John Deere dealer for service.)

Do you have the gas or diesel version?

I have done all of the things that can be done withj the PTO not operating. The red LED has to be on to power the PTO switch. It is not on with the seat sw closed, brake off and the key on. No red light.
I have a feeling you are not a JD mechanic. The number 455 indicates it is the diesel version.

There is a module in the PTO circuit that could be causing trouble if the wiring and switches test good with your test meter.

Like I said, I tested the seat and brake switches and are ok. But they want me to test the PTO relay but it is soldered to the PCB and there are two of them and I do not know which one id the PTO relay.

Okay Rudy, Nortrax John Deere is not a Deere dealer that I used to work at... Good luck Im going to opt out... Professionals only get paid on positive feedback or accepted answers and you have the manuals etc and now questioning my experience... You need someone to spend a lot of time walking you through this step by step for a possibility they might get credit for thier time. Im going to pass this on. Dont respond back or the question will lock back to me.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician