Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Ford 545A Skip loader. I bought it a year ago and…

Customer Question
I have a Ford...

I have a Ford 545A Skip loader. I bought it a year ago and just had the Engine rebuilt at a local crook. It runs fine but my shuttle transmission when put in Forward or revers requires the engine to rev up befor engaging. Never had this issue before it went in. Fluid levels in trans are correct.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Ford 545A No serial number. About 1990 vintage. Hyrdo Transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was also suddenly have 3 point lift issues that was also a new thing but may have fixed or improved it by topping off the Read End Fluid.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
12/27/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

The torque converter has a screen for the internal pump Screen may be plugged with debris, but be sure the transmission oil level is correct, as it works the torque converter and the transmission and the hydraulics. See parts link below.

Ok I see the parts exploded view. Are you looking at the Oil Pickup? How can you access that from one of the side covers on the Right side of the Transmission? There are a couple of access plates there. The Fluid was a little low once I got it back from the repair facility. I used an all purpose hydraulic fluid. Do you think that's ok?

New Holland 134 is correct oil. as long as it meets those specs. Acess to strainer is through the right side.

Ok I will give it a go. Can I contact you further? Working my real job till weekend.

Sure, I'm retired and am usually close.

Hi curtis.The weekend is here so tomorrow I’m going to try to locate this oil pickup. I tool a quick look. Can you identify exactly where this cover or how to access this mysterious oil pick up screen is located?I looked around and the covers are either on the differential sectionals would take allot of deconstruction to remove.

No, cover has to be on the bottom of the torque converter section, which is the bell housing, next to the engine. Where clutch would be on a geared transmission,

Ok I will look tomorrow. I’m thankful for your help. I assume I need to dump the trans fluid. One inside that cover are you familiar with the procedure to get it cleaned up?
By the way it is a power reversing transmission but all the wiring had been removed before I bought it. The pedal is non operational but it worked fine before.

Is it hesitant to go into gear each time you shift f/r? The shuttle has a declutch valve, which kicks transmission into neutral when it is selected. If it is stuck partially open, it could cause shift issue.

It’s a four speed. If you select any 4 gears in the neutral on the forward reverse lever on the left of the steering wheel there is no problem. When you select forward or reverse on the lever under the steering wheel it used to be instant. Forward. Reverse.Now you need to rev the motor sometimes it locks up and goes at medium rpm sometimes lower rpm sometimes higher rpm. Almost like the converter is not locking up.

f/r is the torque convertor and shuttle shift. It is where the declutch valve is.

Ok so I’ve read there is a pick up screen that can cause this very issue. Where do you suggest I start. What am I looking for?

You mentioned solenoid and wires removed, the pedal should activate the declutch solenoid, See link below. The valve under solenoid could be stuck partially open, bypassing the fluid.

OkThe 1st photo is a gear driven pump on the left side of the engine. With the motor idling I can remove the filter and there is no fluid. Filter appears to be not wet inside. The 2nd photo are the large and smaller pipes that run to the right side back to the differential them under the foot board turning into a plate going inside the rear end. I’ve seen some photos of a knob to regulate fluid flow. I don’t seem to have that. Is the pickup screen behind this cover. There are two square plugs one on the cover and me above the cover. Should I fill with hyd fluid till it comes out the top plug? I’ll send a pic of that next.

Filter is suction filter, so it is not getting fluid from the suction tube coming off the transmission housing, or the hose/tube is leaking vacuum and pump can;r pull the fluid. As for oil level, don't you have a shift cover on top, with fill plug and dipstick as shown in the link below?

Yea there is a dipstick on the cover. It shows full. The rear hydraulics run off that pump. Isn’t that oil level separate from the rear end kevel? I saw in the manual there is a pump inside the trans. Remember I have an issue with the 3 point hitch taking a long time to lift as well.

The two cavities are connected and use the same oil.