Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

My lx 173 stopped dead when operating. It will not turn

Customer Question
My lx 173 stopped...

My lx 173 stopped dead when operating. It will not turn over. if I bypass solenoid started will turn but not engage,. If I run a hot wire from battery to purple wire on solenoid, it will turn over. I have jumped across the PTO and the seat and the neutral safety switches to no avail. I have replaced solenoid and ignition switch and of course the two fuses on the ignition switch. Any Ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

LX173 don't have serial number in front of me but can get if you got a minute

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Kohler engine model cv15S, serial number2604002983

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
12/24/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

When I turn on ignition and am sitting on seat I can hear the click at the carburetor. if I get off seat I can't, so I don't think it is a safety switc, but if it were, wouldn't jumping across these switches give me a start? I bypassed neutral safety switch which runs to transmission, (there isn't a brake one as it goes to transmission} and the seat one and the PTO one
Do you mean you think a wire is broken on way to one of these switches?

The click at the fuel solenoid will always be there, as it is not affected by the safety switches. Check the circuit at the key switch. Jumping the two wire switches will bypass them, but will not on a three or four wire switch.

If I don't sit on seat the fuel solenoid won't click. Where is there a three wire switch? there is two going to PTO and two to seat and two to transmission

Then they should be bypassed. So is circuit complete to the key switch terminal? Did you see the wiring diagram I sent?

i will go check again.
So you think it is broken wire?

Broken wire or bad connection.

I will study diagram and see if I can come up with something. Is there anything in the secondary wiring to motor that has to be engaged to make starter work? There are just three switches right? neutral safety to trans, PTO and seat?
The neutral safety switch if in Transmission? Wires run to top of it and seem to go inside.
are we done?

The neutral switch is external, but you can jumper the two wires together to bypass for the test.

I don't think you are looking at lax 173 . You are looking at 172 it must be different than 173. U are no help at all

No difference from the 172 or 173. I will opt out and maybe someone else can help. Sorry.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Using a Volt/OHM meter, test voltage to the fuel solenoid. Also please confirm your meaning on turn over as as a mechanic, turning over means the engine cranks over with the starter but doesnt start It is turns over but no start it means the safety switch circuit is working. Verify the fuel solenoid is working and powered, test for spark with a spark tester if you are getting gas to the carburetor. Try starting fluid if there is spark into the carburetor to see if it will try to start/fire briefly. If so it is fuel related and if not and no spark you could have a coil or magneto problem if there is power to it. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper. We can follow up as needed on here.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician