Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 530 pay loader that is leaking transmission fluid…

Customer Question
I have a 530...

I have a 530 pay loader that is leaking transmission fluid through the starter, what can cause this? It only does it while under load, not at idol.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

771973 ser# ***** 530 is what I found on the cab

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's the only thing I can think of at the moment

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/28/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Any chance you have a parts book on the old unit? Starter can leak if the torque converter has leak, and it floods the bell housing. But many units have wet housings, and the torque converter would flood the housing, and the bell housing to transmission would have a gasket, and the starter would be a sealed starter. In that case, the starter mounting would have a gasket and the starter armature would have a seal.

I have a manual but don't see anything on a wet system, the other issue I have is while is running and you check the trans fluid, and put it to proper level, when you shut it off it and take out the dipstick the fluid flows out like it's over full. We did have to replace the starter a while back, how would I tell if it was a sealed starter or not?

A sealed starter would have a seal on the armature, to keep oil in the Bendix area. And would use a mounting gasket. If the housing is a dry housing, the starter has no seal, and the problem would be a leak in the bell housing from torque converter or transmission front seal.

what about the fluid level issue we are having?

Is oil aerated from air in it? Sign of the pump sucking air. Is there a sump you can remove y examine the pump screen?

I don't know about a sump, and I don't think it is getting aerated, the problem with the fluid is when you check it while loader is running, it will be at a perfect level, but when you check it while it is off it overflows out of the dipstick res.

You sure you are checking it right? Most loaders are checked with the engine off, in the A, not running! Oil may be overfilled.