Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My John deere 5400 tractor starts fine in warm weather but…

Customer Question
my John deere 5400 tractor...
my John deere 5400 tractor starts fine in warm weather but starts and immediately dies in cool or cold weather
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/28/2017
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 7 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi Johnny

I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

It sounds like your glow plug is burned out

use a volt meter or test light to be sure it is having battery voltage

if yes, take a 12-volt jumper wire, from the battery source to the glow plug if big spark it is shorted, needs to be replaced

no spark burned out

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know

I pulled the glow plug for the air and it heated up so I reinstalled it. This tractor has never had a problem starting in all kinds of weather until recently. I never had to use the air heater. Is there another glow plug? In cool weather, the tractor will start the die, I turn the jgition off then reingage the starter tractor will start and then die, over & over until it eventually will start & run.
I’m not interested in talking as i’m Not at my tractor. You answer was no help as I pulled the glow plug and it heated up & I engaged the air heater

Hi Johhny

Thank you for the response

what is the year and hours on tractor ,Please

The tractor is 1995 with 9800 hrs
I figured it out, its in my key ignition switch. As you answer was no help, I expect a full refund. Thanks

Hi Johnny

Sorry my computer was down from yesterday

just now back up

I will send in a refund request