Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a Snapper Z Rider model# MZM2200KH serial #01737806…

Customer Question
Have a Snapper Z Rider...
Have a Snapper Z Rider model# ***** serial #01737806 with the left hydro slipping. These are the Eaton 771 integrated tranny's part #7059154. These are obsolete and part no longer available to purchase or I could rebuild it with a seal kit as that's all that's wrong. If you even find one they want $2500 to $3000 for one. What I have is a Woods 5160 model with the same transmission types by Eaton but they are reversed on how the belts spin them so I am thinking I could take a Right side and turn it around and use it on the Left side and that would make it turn in the proper direction. What do you Think, would that work? These are the same as what are on an older Grasshopper 721. Woods ie Grasshopper.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/21/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What are the model and serial numbers from the transmission cases? If you can get parts for your existing I would repair that one before exploring the other options.

There are no more parts for these I have searched everywhere. Everything is obsolete and no longer available, even bad ones for parts are 200 to $300. These need seal kits and they are none to be found. Manufacturer said that they haven't had any for over 3yrs.(###) ###-####p is the transaxle #

The gaskets you can use an anerobic gasket maker or make your own. O rings you can match up but only use those for high pressure hydraulics ( Heavy equipment) and the axle seals if needed you can measure inside and outside diameters. CLick below

Manual

Let me break it down, I have hundreds of o rings, I thought they maybe had some of the 3" size o rings inside. I'll check friction plates and I've also found the A and B side parts list and downloaded it so I'll know what they are and some may still be available somewhere. But I know there is no hard parts at all.

You can match any larger o rings at any heavy equipment dealer.....

Dan as I got into it on the rebuild diagram it shows springs on the charge pump rotor ball bearings and this one has none. Do you think that it is all done with pressure from the fluid instead of being spring aided to operate the charge pump. Also the fluid seems to be a little milky or someone has added like a Dex transmission fluid.if you get the downloaded file it's on like page 7
far I have seen no wear, just discoloration of fluid

The pump rotor has no springs but the motor rotors mounted on each side to drive the axles should have springs.

Did you look at #51
It says to use a wide rubber band to hold them in their respective holes as they are matched. I had to push them out from the back side to get them out. They should be fairly easy to come out by just tilting

Yes, You have a pump and two motors. They look similar. Pump has no springs.

Look closely at the pictures titled..............Motor Rotor/Ball (S/A) Pump Rotor/Ball (S/A)

The motors drive the axles. you need to remove the axle housings to access them if needed. One on each side. Sounds like you have the pump in your hands and the axle housings are still bolted to the transaxle

You're right Dan, I haven't removed the drive section yet because I cannot get the hub to pull. I've used a bottle torch and impact, and a 3prong puller and it will not budge. So I figured I would try and see if any damage to hydro pump section first, and it's clean as a whistle so far. I have the manual in front of me as I go. I wasn't paying attention to the two illustrations of the rattle balls
These tranny's are single independent drives one on left and one on right, and I'm just doing the left. Have not seen an o ring yetin tear down, most pumps are full if them

This one you will be looking for scoring on the machined surfaces and any discoloration, debris, etc. The seals/gaskets are as illustrated in the parts breakdown mostly for sealing the case and housing parts. If any of the hard parts are needed but not available you may be able to rob from another unit. Just compare part numbers to verify if they are the same as sometimes you will luck out that way.

The only thing that could be wrong with this one is sticking balls, I'm thinking from water in fluid, because it did have a milky type color. The surfaces all look good. It looked like they had changed the fluid after it stopped pulling, the fluid is clean but has a milky look, probably what was left in system

Check the balls for free movement and for any signs of scoring/damage and if needed polish with crocus cloth.

Finally got the driver end off and found problem. It's the reaction plate. It is in 2 pieces part #106414 and nobody has it. I can't seem to find an old one to take it out of. Just a thin piece that fits down on the gear driven shaft.
It also needed the backup plate that goes next to it and I ordered the last one that Briggs has in the nation. If I could just fine the reaction plate. I have found a whole drive section just the parts used for $800 get real, everyone of the I can find I will tear down and sell just parts out of them. I have 3 mowers with these on them but they are on running mowers. May just tear them out and sell all the parts, make more than the mowers are worth by about 6 times the money. But if I did that they would never be asked for ha ha/