Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

How do i change the bearings on an unloading auger of a 9500…

Customer Question
How do i change...

How do i change the bearings on an unloading auger of a 9500 jd combine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Not sure at this time

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes have a bearing out on the shaft with the 2 big pulleys,the inside bearing.can not get the cast piece that holds the pulleys on to come off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not my piece of equipment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/18/2017
Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

Ok so the inner hub on the unload auger drive keyed to the tapered end of the shaft. The good news is there is a very simple removal method built into the hub. If you look at the holes in the hub you will find two non threaded holes that the shear bolt can go in and two threaded holes. Clean the threaded holes out with air and thread two metric bolts into the holes until they bottom out on the pulley hub. Make sure the bolts don't line up with the shear bolt hole then start torqueing the bolts down about 1/4 turn at a time until the hub pops off. I like to put a slight taper on the end of the removal bolts with a bench grinder so they don't mushroom making them difficult to remove.

Just a tip, the bearings in question are notorious for failing. You can have your dealer get you the greasable bearing and flanges for the straw chopper jackshaft as they are an exact fit. The upgraded greasable bearings have a far greater service life. I would also recommend applying high strength or bearing mount Loc-tite to the shaft and bearing prior to installation. The shaft often wears slightly and the new bearing doesn't fit as snugly as it should.

I hope this helps get you back to harvesting. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin