Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

What would cause straw walkers and sieve not to engage on a…

Customer Question
What would cause straw...

What would cause straw walkers and sieve not to engage on a JD 9400 combine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It is a 9400 JD combine serial number RG6466A290693

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it myself. Was seriously jammed and have cleaned it out but when I start the combine everything runs except the straw walkers and the sieves. I can move it manually some but it won't go all the way

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/14/2017
Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 5 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.What I would recommend would be to slack the belt tension on the shoe drive belt. This tensioner is the one located above the tailings Elevator drive belt on the right-hand side ahead of the rear tire. The shoe drive belt drives the straw walkers, the sieve & chaffer, and the shoe supply augers. Once the tension is released you can turn each of the component drives individually. Most of the time if the machine has become plugged you will find that the cleaning shoe frames can’t travel all the way forward due to build up. It is always best to narrow down the component using this method rather than trying to force the units with the separator. It is also possible that you have a damaged straw walker that is not allowing one of the cranks to rotate all the way around. If you do find that you cannot turn the sieve & chaffer drive you may want to pull them for inspection so that you can identify if there is damage in the front. Both are easily removed and a quick inspection could save you thousands of dollarsPlease keep me posted as to what you are finding as I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Technician