Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a Deere 6400 tractor with electrical problems. PTO and…

Have a John Deere...

Have a John Deere 6400 tractor with electrical problems. PTO and 3 point lift does not work. I checked the obvious things like fuses, diodes and relays. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Okay!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm rebuilding the tractor. Replaced wiring harness and fuse block with a used harness out of a salvage tractor. Cannot get voltage to lift solenoid.

The JD 6400 is a 1993 model. I can get the serial number off the tractor if needed.Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/14/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Did you visually check these items or did you use an OHM meter/Volt meter to test voltage through the circuit and continuity of the wiring?

Volt ohm meter

Thanks for the update. So after your testing, Is there power at the fuse block on both sides of the fuse and into the wiring harness?

If the wiring harness passes a continuity test on that circuit with no opens then check the voltage and if there is none into the wiring try bypassing 12 volts into the function to verify it works and if so trace the circuit back to the fuse panel confirming 12 volts in and out of the fuse for that function. Since this is a replacement wiring harness, it is a good idea to check them all for power on both sides with the ignition switch on. Let me know the results.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Unable to work on tractor today. Will respond tomorrow. Thanks, Bob

Pleasure to help Bob. We can follow up as needed on here. I will be on the road throughout the day tomorrow but will be able to reply in the evening once I return. Im not an employee of the site.

Checked fuse box and have power on both sides of the fuse. Do you have access to the JD wiring diagrams? Not sure how the power god through the

Hello. I do not but what I did find for you is a PDF manual that will have this info in it. Click below for the link and also the second link for the parts manual access.

Manual

Parts

I have the technical manual you are referring referencing. They do not go into detail on the electrical rockshaft control or PTO wiring diagram. According to the John Deere dealers this information is proprietary and available only to their technicans. If that is the case I don't think you can help solve my problem.

Using your volt meter, test the input voltage to the PTO control or id disconnected test the resistance through the PTO control moving it from stop to stop to see if it increases and decreases in value with no open circuits. I worked for a Dealer ( Nortrax) in the past. They will tell you these things because they want the work coming to them.

Won't be able to work on tractor until next week. Will check input voltage to PTO control and report back.

Sounds good. Let me know.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Okay I was able to get copies of the PTO wiring diagram and 3 point lift. Attached find copies of each. PTO: Have power to module on spade 15. Hitch controller: Have power to controller. Cannot get power to solenoids. What do suggest?

Thanks for the update. Do you have the optional remote switch ? Check that and the quick raise and lower to be sure its giving the signal to raise and lower. If so it points to a faulty module. Let me know

No remote switch.

Thanks for the update. Check the signal to the controller from the switch to see if its the switch or wiring or if the controller is getting switch signal it would point to the controller as the problem not sending power to the hitch.

Dan, Technician
It appears the hitch controller is not working. Is there a way to check the controller off the tractor?

Thanks for the update. Your dealer may be able to try to reflash or reprogram the controller and see if it resolves the problem but other than trying another known good one I do not know of any other way to test them.

Couldn’t get neither the PTO or 3 point hitch to work. Just got frustrated and ended up sell the tractor on craigslist.

thanks for the update. I understand. Sounds very frustrating.