Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have early model 3020 Deere with powershift.. I have owned…

Customer Question
I have early model...

I have early model 3020 John Deere with powershift.. I have owned several over my years.. Just bought this one.. I appears to be trying to go "load up" in reverse,, and when shifting through the speeds,, it skips 7th gear.. However,, there IS a working 7th gear,, it just goes on past it.. I suspect it is a hydraulic leak in the controller

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

There is also a "hissing" in conjunction with a possible hydraulic load,, whenever shutting off the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pressure gauge shows proper,, even at only 1000 rpm..

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help When this is shifting through the gears what are the pressures doing between 6,7, 8, etc in comparison to the other gears? Any drops in pressure or changes?

No pressure change
All shifting is strong..
When trying to use reverse,, it acts like you have your foot on brakes to hold it back..
Still looking to hear from you..

Good morning. Im not an employee of the site so my availability depends on my workload throughout the day but we can follow up as needed. Tomorrow I will be out on the road all day with limited availability. What is the serial number as there are two options for this model?

858 - 3020 (S.N. -122,999) Row-Crop Tractor - 16May11

1115 - 3020 Row-Crop Tractor (S.N. 123,000- ) - 16May11

Check both the shift valve and the control valve for debris or sticking spools. clean and reseal with new gaskets. Use "crocus" cloth to polish the spools and be sure the move freely and there is no scoring or damage. Also check for metal/debris in the screen/filter that would flag other internal problems or failures occurring. Let me know

My vin is "T113P091461P" So,,, I'm thinking this is an early one... It was sold to me as 1966 year model..

Thanks for the update. Click on the first link and use the sectional index. Let me know if it matches your tractor.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.