Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1998 new Holland 7635 2wd with the 24speed forward,

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 new Holland 7635 2wd with the 24speed forward, 12speed reverse and left hand forward/reverse shifter. it wouldn't shift into reverse because it had a broken forward/reverse synchronizer. the synchronizer was replaced - now I have reverse and not forward. You can feel the shifter put the tractor into forward, but it only creeps forward and can be stopped with the brakes. Does reverse drive through either of the clutch packs?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

It also has a new clutch installed

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/12/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

OK -thanks

Tractor has only only two clutch packs, and they are for high/low. You would think it would be for forward and reverse, but that is not the case, forward and reverse show to be all gears! Did it ever have forward after the repair?

It will move in the lowest ranges but will stop as soon as you touch the brackets

Clutch has freeplay?

it will not slip in reverse

Same in low and high range?

You can't have it in high in reverse assuming you are talking about the powershift

Symptom is a slipping clutch, but it should be same in forward or reverse.

You can kill the engine with the brakes in reverse

Sorry, I don't know enough about the 7635 to talk about it. I will opt out and see if one of the current New Holland guys will respond. DD85 is the guru!