Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

I have a Z445 54 in cut. I have replaced V drive belt and

added extra spring but still...
I have a Z445 54 in cut. I have replaced V drive belt and added extra spring but still have lag in response time?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 2008 trying to find serial number it has Kawasaki engine
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, place placed extra spring to tighten belt, then purchased new belt
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that its lags before it gets going at regular speed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model number M0Z445C049332
10/22/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

by the serial number, this unit has a separate pump and motor for each wheel? Not a one piece hydrostat transmission for each side? And both sides lag? Has it gotten worse as time goes on? Or when did it change?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks just been working on it the past 2 weekends. Don’t know why it lags so much even after placing new V belt onthis am
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It started
D about month ago both sides seem to lag about the same

Fluid level full and filter has been changed? See link below.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t change filter but was going to try that next... I do hear the belt squeak during lag time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fluid level was ok this am

Try replacing the filter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will try that and fluid and hope it will fix the problem.

With it affecting both sides, it has to be a common area. Belt or fluid and filter,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks. I am hoping that it does..

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will change it tomorrow and let you know thanks

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well changed filter and replaced fluid its a little better but still sluggish at times at belt sqeaks

You would think if belt squeaks, it is loose, but with new belt and added spring, it should be tight!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That what i was thinking... could there be too much tension on belt? Or could it be spindle

I don't see it being too tight. I assume you checked the idler pulley when you had belt off, and it turned freely with good bearing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it spun fine .. may need to replace the original spring?

Maybe, what did you use for spring?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the original and then added the other spring to tighten last year

So you used old and a new spring. I doubt a new original will do any better. I think that you either live with the lag or get another mower. This setup is no longer used, which means it gave trouble or is too costly to repair.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That what i was thinking. I had it for 10 years .. stay with JD?

They build a good mower, but that has to be your choice!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks for the advice

Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician