Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

1959 Deere 730 Diesel electric start 24 volt. Push the

1959 John Deere 730 Diesel...
1959 John Deere 730 Diesel electric start 24 volt. Push the starter button and the solenoid kicks but no starter rotation. Thus far the starter was rebuilt, new battery cables, new batteries, cleaned connections. Used to be an intermittent issue and I would pull start it once in a while and it would be fine for sometime. Now I am not able to pull start it because I have it hooked to the backhoe pulled into the barn.I am at a loss. Could it be the multi switch, do I need to look at connections again, or what?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Check the battery connections at batteries and at the starter connections and the frame connections. Use a voltmeter to see if you are getting the 24 volts to the starter.

Checks right at 25 Volts.

At starter and solenoid? If you jump the solenoids battery post, to the switch post, will starter engage?

If you jump the battery post terminal and the switch post terminal on the starter solenoid will starter engage?

It didn't when I tried it a couple of weeks ago but I will check it again when I have light and fewer mosquitoes to fight off.

If it does not, battery, cables or starter or solenoid is not good!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Checked the starter gear this morning and discovered that the gear was not in line with the flywheel. Shimmed the starter and it strated right up. Now I need to figure out how to adjust the gear so that it retract enough so that it does not grind on the flywheel when the beast is running and I think I am in business.Thanks so much for the help.