Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Foden A3000 tractor unit that has a problem with…

Customer Question
I have a Foden...

I have a Foden A3000 tractor unit that has a problem with its trailer control valve unit exhausting lots of air out the bottom exhaust vent when park brake is on only with one of my three trailers connected. All the other brake functions work correctly and I have already replaced the trailer control valve with no improvement. thank you. Brian

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Foden S106 1999 Chassis # sfns106t0901243 engine #34964029 gvm 24800

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

The trailer which involves the problem is 1994 Steelbro model SB

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Tipulator Chassis # 7A9S50488R1005000. As this is the only trailer that causes the problem would we assume the fault is in the trailer valveing?
Thanks Brian
9/19/2017
Mechanic: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 9 months ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Hi Brian, my name is ***** ***** for your question.I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Yes I would assume it's a trailer issue with just the one trailer

Does it leak air out valve when brake knob is pushed in or when its out?

When valve is out brakes are applied when in brakes are released

You say when on I just need to confirm as that changes what can be wrong

Let me know

HiCustomerThanks for your update, looking forward to your findings.
regards Brian

This sounds like you have a maxi chamber leaking internally back feeding into valve and leaking out exhaust

Have trailer that has issue connected and with brakes released and valve leaking,, then crimp off one air line at a time on each maxi chamber until air slows or stops leaking, once you find the one that slows or stops leak replace that maxi chamber.

You want to crimp line to the the rear of trailer on each maxi

Any problems let me know I'm happy to assist!
Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

Maxi chamber

click here

Hi Spanky
I confirm that time of leakage is when the knob is out, park brake on. I have a park brake lever in my Foden which does the same job as the in/out knob you refer too.
Thanks Brian

Thanks for info Brian

Do you have another valve (knob, handle, or switch ) for trailer brake release?

Since it's only one trailer with this issue something has to be back feeding air from trailer

Is the leaking valve on tractor or trailer?

Normally you would have a separate release for tractor and trailer, so 2 things you would need to do to release both tractor and trailer park brakes.

If you could take a picture of leaking valves that may help

you can add pics to reply using paper clip icon on top of reply box

let me know

Hi Spanky, I will answer line by line to your questions
No I just have lever valve in tractor for park brake on/off in normal daily use. Then on trailer there is what we call a ( Yard Valve ) button on the trailer which you can use to on/off trailer brakes while trailer is disconnected from tractor unit.eg service, moving trailer while not connected etc.
The leaking valve is on the tractor unit and is called a trailer control valve, and only leaks while park brakes are applied as in when you are parked on hill and not in truck.
I can send picture after I have been to truck at depot if you really need it.
regards Brian

If you leave service line going to trailer off (not hooked up) does air leak out trailer side?

And does valve on truck not leak?

If so it is a maxi chamber on trailer leaking back

Mechanic: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 8 months ago

**********Please don’t forget to rate or accept the answer in a positive way, .**********
EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****
Thank You

Sorry Spanky we have an accident in the family and won't be able to do anything more for a week or so.
Will get back on to the testing after that.
Cheers Brian

Sorry to hear that hope all turns out well.

We can continue when you have time a week or two is fine just worry about Family for now

Talk later