Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 6420 that the transmission oil get real hot is this…

Customer Question
I have a 6420...

I have a 6420 that the transmission oil get real hot is this somthing u can help me with

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

6420 john deere 6420v341219

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes im fixing it my self i made sure the coolent is up and change the hyd filter thats it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
9/18/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Do you have a temperature gun, so you can check temperatures at various points in the system? Harbor freight has one for less than $30 and you can point a read at any pint Need t see if the oil cooler is working, and if there is any hydraulic functions that are heating up the transmission oil. Is this powershift transmission? Transmission cooler may be plugged, or has restriction to or from it.

we check at the hyd cooler and its the same as the water tempeture

So it is not hot at cooler? So where is it hot? Is performance dropping off. or is gage/light coming on?

No lights r coming on

So how do we know it is hot?

It's popping the hoses out of scv and u have to use rags to hold the hose to put it back in the scv

SVC may be restricting the flow and causing the heat. Measure temperature at each SVC and the attachment you are using!

It reads 180 at scv

K, what does it rad at the other SVC ? 180 is not hot for hydraulic or transmission oil, when it gets to 260 it is HOT!

180

Is it just one SVC that comes loose? Have you replaced it?

We replace all the barrels now the hoses stay in now we need to see if she will heat up again

180 is NOT hot, it is going to be 180 because that is what engine cooling system rubs, and the oil is cooled by the 180 degree water!

I see question is still open.???

We think it's fix hyd filter was choked

OK> Please rate to close the question, using the 5 star rating system on the customer side. Thanks for the reply.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician