Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a bobcat 334G mini excavator (1046 hrs). Just

Customer Question
Hi, I have a bobcat 334G...
I have a bobcat 334G mini excavator (1046 hrs). Just purchases a small rotary brush cutter running of the auxiliary. When engaged, I cannot use any other hydraulic function: The rotary cutter will make some whining noise and loos power almost instantaneously. For example, brush cutter is running and move the boom, superstructure or blade and the rotary cutter will immediately slow down. Running the excavator w/o using the auxiliary hydraulic circuit is fine. Could it be that the return to the pump is plugged? How would i Test that?
Thanks,
Bernhard
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Forgot to mention: There are no fault codes showing
9/16/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Bernhard, My name is***** will be glad to help. Remove the hydraulic filter and inspect internally for fine metal/debris as this is on the return before going back to tank. If fine metal/debris is found it indicates a pump or component failure is occuring. Let me know

Hi Dan,
Nope, filters are all clean, no evidence of metal shavings or excessive debris. Also just been change at 1006 hrs. BTW, the hydraulics output appears to be fine UNLESS I run the auxiliary and use another function. Could it be that the pump is 'starved', i.e. the return flow to the pump is not adequate? But I don't know how to check that.
Bernhard

Thanks for the update. If no metal or debris is found signalling a problem I must conclude since this is a new attachment that the current pump or settings are not providing enough GPM of flow to meet the specs on the attachment. A flow meter and pressure gauge set will be needed as well as the attachment Pressure and flow specs to verify if the machine is putting out enough for the attachment and for those adjustments to be made.

A flow meter is not something most technicians have in their tool box. These are usually shop tools and equipment and can cost in excess of over 6 grand. It is best to have a hydraulic shop adjust this for you to set it up for your attachment. First you need the specs of both the attachment and your machine to be sure your machine is adjustable to meet the demands of the attachment. Let me know

Not sure about that: The Parker pump on the attachment is rated 12-18gal/min, the bobcat auxiliary spec is 16.4 gal/min. So that one is matched. And never having experienced any power problem, I beginning to think this is a 'priority' problem. Is there a priority setting that diverts all flow away from the auxiliary when other functions are used (i.e. track, boom or blade movement)?

Thanks for the update. I know some machines have different settings for Hammer or different attachments in the monitor. Im going to opt out and pass this one along as I dont have the manual for this model to give to the specifics for the testing and adjusting for the setup and troubleshooting for this attachment. another professional on here may be able to help further.