Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I've got a Ferguson 1954 TO 30 tractor. I've been shredding

Customer Question

I've got a Ferguson 1954 TO 30 tractor. I've been shredding a pasture; hit a log and apparently broke the shear pin. I've never replaced the shear pin before. I could use some guidance about what part of the PTO to shredder holds the shear pin and an easy way to remove the PTO drive shaft to the shredder to repair it.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Ferguson TO-30 Tractor 1954
Serial Nummber: TO-134759
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm using chains to keep the shredder at my desired cutting height.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Shear pin is part of the shredder drive shaft. Typically it is where the drive shaft connects to the shredder gear box. And will be a bolt and nut that goes through a flange or ear on the gear box. Drive shaft from tractor does not need to come off, with tractor OFF, turn the drive shaft to align the two holes, and install a new shear bolt. Thats all there is to it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The two ears need to be aligned and a new bolt installed. Do not use a grade 8 bot!