Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have kubota diesel engine D901 is not starting, I have

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have kubota diesel engine D901 is not starting
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have kubota diesel engine D901 is not starting
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have changed the glow plug because some of them out it is turning but not starting
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have checked the mechanical pump it is good
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. check the fuel shutoff if it is working properly and putting the pump in the fuel on position at key on and is powering up. If okay verify fuel supply and that the system is bled of air. If good fuel supply but cranking and no start and weak fuel delivery cracking the injection lines it means the injection pump is faulty in need of overhaul. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Engine Model: D902-ET01
Brand: Kubota
Situation: It is turning but not starting
----------
What have I done?
Tank diesel: Half of tank
Key fuel shutoff: on
Glow plug: I changed 3 of them
injection pump: I took it out and checked. it looks good because the spring is good
Pipe injection: I have opened the 3 pipes in different time and I saw diesel but I think it is not enough or it is weak. but the injection pump looks goodcheck this video
https://streamable.com/cr14q
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update. That electric shutoff solenoid should move the lever when you put the key on. If not try manually moving the lever and then try starting. If the solenoid is not moving it may not have power to it or if it does it means a bad solenoid. If that is okay but weak fuel delivery from the injection pump with good fuel supply to it means the injection pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actuaully the engine dose not have electric solenoid. It is working I think by mechanical system (injection pump).
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

In the video on top of the injection pump attached to the lever on the pump. It should move the lever for fuel on and fuel off

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do u have picture for it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It was in the video you sent me. On top of the pump.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It has the red wire to the electrical connector going to it. Round cylinder with the rod coming out of it. The rod is connected to the pump shutoff lever.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
U may check the pic. If it is what you mean.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes. That is it

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I did not see it moving the lever in the video.... Try to move it manually and then have someone try to start the engine.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

click on this link. You may be able to find others on e bay

Parts

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that the lever control speed?!I will try to do it in Sunday.Is there any way to check it if it is good or not by battery!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

What is the make and model machine this engine is in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Engine Model: D902-ET01
Brand: Kubota
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I have that information but am asking what is the engine installed in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is installed for washing system it is connected to hydraulic pump
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update. Try putting battery power with a jumper wire to the wire to it after unplugging that connector and run a wire between the battery and the solenoid and see if it moves. It is best to use an inline fuse when doing this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You mean take out the solenoid and connect it to the positive battery like that and check if it is moving or not! But what about the negative battery do i need to connect to the body of solenoid.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

no just unplug the wire to it and put power to that wire. It is grounded to the engine where it bolts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I got it. I will do it in Sunday and let you know.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Pleasure to help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello it is working good
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I connected to positive battery
https://streamable.com/ep2bkhttps://streamable.com/6kjvuwhen I turned on the engine it is working but the diesel is very weak
https://streamable.com/yfy7v
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update. If there is good fuel supply to the injection pump but weak delivery out it is a faulty injection pump in need of replacement or rebuild.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry my friend but still not find the problem
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You said injection pump and i said it is ok but i will take out and check it again
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
U can see in videos the pipe injection has weak fuel and I do not know why
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Because it needs to be rebuilt by a fuel injection shop

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Ive been a diesel technician for years. You have worn out of specs pumping plungers and barrels

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You mean the injection pump has to be refurbish!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This one!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Other side
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes that is correct

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I refurbished the injection pump but still not startinghttps://streamable.com/w3sy5https://streamable.com/jl55u
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update. The only things left to check for is low compression, timing to be out of spec as it seems to be getting good fuel now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how to adjust timing again
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

The gear timing should never change unless the cam is removed or the timing gears... The injection pump is shimmed so be sure the same or correct shims are installed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cam was not removed and the injection pump is refurbished and shimmed correctly. So what now?!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

If the timing is okay and injection pump it can only be low compression or an injector problem. What happened when this problem first occurred?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It came to me from other department they said it does not work ... It just cracks ... I did as u said ... I refurbished the injection pump ... New glow plug .. New diesel filter ... Shut off solenoid is ok ... But still not working
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This is odd. Let me opt out and see if maybe another professional has other suggestions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok i am waiting
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Injection pump you removed has a pin that mates with the governor link. Was this rod connected back to governor link? If the injection pump rack, which is the throttle portion , does not move into the run position, you get no fuel spraying at injector high pressure lines.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This pin was fitting with correct position in governor link, is this what you meant?! check pic
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Is it moving when you crank? It has to move to the open position.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Take off the throttle cover, and move the rod manually and see if engine fires.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
you want me to take the control speed out to check if the governor link move or not? check pic
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 30 days ago.

Yes, then you can manually move the link to the injection pump.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Ok when I have done i will let you know
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Please check pic ... As i know the spring is not in right place so i have to connect it to other side!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

So you removed the pump so you can see the link to it. Spring looks out of place, , what is the part to the right? Bot***** *****ne, did you find why pump was not sending fuel to the injectors?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Actually i still didn't know why the injection pump not send fuel but i saw video that the spring is not in right place
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Check this video https://youtu.be/t8GBsiic0C8
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
How i can do it manually without shutoff solenoid!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

With pump installed as in video, you would move the part the spring goes to on the left, that is the link to the injection pump that opens the fuel. But from video, your spring is the probelm!

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
There are two spring so which one, the one goes inside or other one?! Ok, i will repair that spring
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

The first one shown on the video that connects from on side to the other..

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
This one i have to push it left and try to turn on the engine like that?!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

Yes, you would push it to the left.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I did as you said but it was not working and i saw the fuel is coming out from this valve down .. So what I can do now!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

That is the high pressure fuel line to the injector nozzles,there would be fuel squirting there, if the injector pump was pumping. Is line loose or is the line cracked and leaking? The three lines would be loosened , to bleed the injector lines. Fuel should squirt, not just dribble. Once fuel is squirting while cranking. the lines would be tightened , and engine should start.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok i will tight the three lines tomorrow and try to turn the engine manually
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
i tried to turn on the engine manually with and without moving the link to injection pump, I saw the diesel coming out. So, I have to change that nozzle! but how i can make sure if I do that the engine will work because I have spent so much money until right now. Check this video https://streamable.com/og6kh
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 24 days ago.

OK< fix the leak and looks like there is fuel to start and run!

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It is the body of kit nozzle but how i can make sure the three nozzles are good!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 21 days ago.

You can remove them, and reconnect so they hang in the air, and crank and watch for spray pattern. Use a piece of cardboard to hold under nozzle to see spray pattern. Do NOT hold hand under nozzle as it can inject diesel into the skin!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok i will do it and let u know
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I bought the overflow pipe which was the problem last time, I tried to turn on the engine to check also kit nozzle and I have seen one just drop fuel, other two nothing. Check these videoshttps://streamable.com/84jgw
https://streamable.com/ygdslAlso, during turning on the engine there is back air from the head of engine. Check pic.
https://streamable.com/qt59f
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

From what see , the injection pump is not in the run position. The link from governor is what controls the on/off of the fuel. It is stuck, or in wrong direction, or the injection pump is not capable of producing the 2000 lbs, needed to let the injector nozzles spray.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have refurbished the injection pump and I push the governor link to let work manually. Maybe because the battery is low or other two spray nozzles are jam
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

None of the injector nozzles are getting pressure to open them, Did you move the governor link in the opposite direction to check?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No i just push to one side as u told me before ... U said "non of injector nozzles are getting pressure" but i saw the first one was dropping some fuel!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

Just dribbling injector is not getting fuel under pressure either.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
what i have to do now!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 17 days ago.

Try moving the injection pump link in the other direction. One way is off, the other is on.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok i will, and i will let u know
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have moved it to other side and i saw the nozzle spray. Check this videohttps://streamable.com/fhcakI think they are good?!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

Yes! Look like they will work!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok tomorrow i will gather everting and i hope it is working
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 16 days ago.

You squirt that fuel into the cylinder and it will start!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello, I gathered everting and i bleed the lines but the engine is still not working.
Let's review everything again:
1- Glow plug is new
2- the fuel filter is new
3- I have refurnished the injection pump
4- I have installed new spring for governor link.
5- Solenoid shutoff is good
6- I have stopped the leaking in injection line.See these videos
https://streamable.com/3ed4khttps://streamable.com/a4bu6What I have to do!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Bot***** *****ne, there is no exhaust smoke, so there is no fuel being injected into the cylinder.s. You had fuel squirting from injectors earlier, why not now? Injection pump is not opening the passage to the injectors. Pump is not in the run position!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There is smoking from exhaust but it not clear in video
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Has compression been checked? Maybe not enough compression to start.?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How to check compression!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The compression is not enough to run the engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

The compression is taken at the glow plug hole. The adapter screws into the hole, and compression is read while cranking.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What is the name of device to check compression !
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Needs to be close to 400 psi. 325 psi is a minimum

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Diesel compression tester. Most auto supplys rent them or Harbor freight sells one.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have to take out glow plug and run engine!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

You will remove all glow plugs, and take reading while cranking.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 days ago.

Check each cylinder.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok it has three glow plug and i will check them
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do u have pic for diesel compression tester!