Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a JD 6420. Just replaced the head gasket. Tractor…

Customer Question
I have a JD...

I have a JD 6420. Just replaced the head gasket. Tractor refuses to start. Have checked all the sensors etc. Any ideas ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Will check the numbers. In the meantime 2005 model and common rail fuel syst.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself, yes, tried to extract fault codes, airing the fuel system, charging battery, turning engine over, doesn't seem to let the fuel pass the injectors, no sign of smoke from the exhaust !

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Serial no CD4045H917740* model no 4045HL473

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Warning and stop light comes on as soon as switching "ignition" key to on !
9/13/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Verify the ECU is getting power and grounds and powering up. If okay check the engine speed sensor and wiring that the ECU is seeing engine RPM while cranking or injection will be disabled. Also verify you have good fuel supply to the pump and injectors. Test all fuses and check relays. Let me know if we have to dig deeper into this. We can follow up as needed.

How do I verify the ECU is powered up ? When I crank, the instrument display goes blank !
I guess the ECU is powered up because I have been been busy trying to extract fault codes
Why does my screen go blank during cranking ?

Thanks for the update. If you are losing power to the display it could be a poor ground or connection to the cluster causing low voltage during cranking. You can test voltage drops and the voltage to the cluster during cranking to confirm the actual volts. Let me know

Hi, Did you get this resolved?If so, Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician