Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 9530 Deere wheeled tractor which has lost steering

Customer Question

I have a 9530 john Deere wheeled tractor which has lost steering and very hard to turn . It has no trouble codes , any idea what the problem is ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Ok
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am and I have checked the electrical side of the system . Machine still has brAkes , trans shitfting normally , engine running fine with no power loss & hydrAulic oil + filters are only 220hrs old since service
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I have lost steering in my 9530 JD tractor , still got brakes & no electrical codes , trans operating normally & so is engine . Very heavy to steer and wheel turn angle is minimal
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Have you checked the two steering cylinders for internal leakage? If either cylinder leaks, it affects the other. Turn unit all the way in either direction, and at cylinder, determine which hose is pressure in that direction, remove the opposite hose, pressure the cylinder in same direction, and if oil pours from open hole in cylinder, cylinder is bad, if it pours from the hose removed, the other cylinder is the bad one See link below,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have checked the cylinders they are ok
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Are you getting pressure to the steering valve? Pump ,valve and cylinders are all there is!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any other checks ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If a cylinder was gone would it be so hard to steer and would it be both directions ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Cylinder bad would affect steering in both directions. There is a priority valve, which gives priority to steering and brakes. See parts link below