Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

What would create a reason to suspect that "valve clearance"

Customer Question

What would create a reason to suspect that "valve clearance" might be a problem in a D-140 with just over 100hrs. After changing oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, I'm still having a "surging" in the engine after it runs for a few minutes. It's not been damaged, mistreated, or abused in any way... I think the wife's jealous... Need help... not with wife!
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 1G1/44R677/130610YG
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope I've had 3 Deere's over the past 40 years and my son is still using the "sweetie" I had prior to the D-140.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Valve clearance needs to be checked every now an then, but I doubt it is cause of surging. I would want to run a cylinder test. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. Engine should continue to run. If it dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check for spark, and if it has spark, remove valve cover and check the valves, pushrod may be off.