Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Massey Ferguson GC2300 s/n N-T3035. No hydraulics, power…

Massey Ferguson GC2300 s/n...

Massey Ferguson GC2300 s/n N-T3035. No hydraulics, power steering, loader, hydrostatic trans., 3 pt lift or pto. Verified the shaft is turning going to to front of transaxle. Shaft nor splines of hub are stripped. Input shaft turns all the gears for pump drive and pto according to parts breakdown. I don't have a service manual. Are these tractors known for shearing a shaft internally? That's all I can figure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

The guy that owns tractor said they were mowing when steering and other hydraulics failed but were able to get it in barn. We had to use a rollback type wrecker to load it up. Nothing working.

8/18/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

You say you have checked the drive shaft from the engine to the front of the hydrostat? Is it turning the input shaft into the hydrostat? This shaft and the ujoints on both enf=ds are the common part to fail. The ujoint on transmission end strips out, and does not turn the input shaft.

Ok. So given the symptoms, what do you think.

Did you see my response above?

After I sent mine. The shaft and ujoints are good.
Shaft is turning at front of transmission. Has a slight resistance to it.

With loss of all hydraulic function, I think the drive haft is slipping on the front shaft of the hydrostat.

I have pulled the shaft out from engine to hydrostat. Not stripped. all splines are in good shape.

We assume it is not low on fluid?

Have you drained the fluid to see if there is any loose parts on magnet?

No. Fluid was drained. Checked for debris, found none. Refilled.

No fluid flowing at the filter , if you loosen hose or filter?

All good. Suction screen clean.
Have they had problems internally with pump drive failures?

You have removed the hydraulic pump and checked shaft and drive?

No wanted to consult a tech. on these problems prior to pulling pump. Does the external pump control everything or is there a charge pump inside seperately for hydrostat?

The one pump does all, hydraulics as well as hydrostat.

Ok. So if I have a shaft failure, in pump or trans., that would give me the symptoms I have. I will need to remove pump and check it and the drive going to it. Correct?
ok. Looking at parts page input shaft goes into pto clutch hub which drives a counter gear that in turn drives the pump gear. Are these pumps known for shearing the shaft or possibly a drive key internally?

Correct, with pump removed, as you turn the input shaft, the pump drive gear should be turning.

ok. That helps. I'm used to having more than one pump on any given machine. I didn't want to pull the front of trans off to find nothing wrong thinking I had a broken shaft internally. So I will be pulling the pump to check its condition.

OK>Let me know!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Thanks. How do I get back to you to let you know what I find?

Just use the link in your email to get back here.

Ok. Found problem. Pump shaft and drive gear are stripped. Looks like a pile of rusty paste in housing. Oil was not milky. Gasket was good. Had to be condensation built up in there. Now the fun begins.

Thanks for the reply and update!

Thanks for your help.

Thank you!