Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

I was cutting grass with my x500 tractor. I stopped & the…

Customer Question
I was cutting grass...

I was cutting grass with my x500 tractor. I stopped & the PTO would not re-
engage. I drove up to the shop, shut off the tractor, checked to make sure the blades were not plugged with grass, I checked the wiring connections. All were secure. Now the tractor will not start. Batery tested good. Help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thx

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not right now, thx

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
8/6/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Do you get anything when you turn the key on? Click at the carburetor? What did battery test at? Seat switch harness all connected?

HI, I get a click and the instrumentation comes to life. The battery tested at 12.5 volts. I even tried boosting with a battery pack, to no avail.I put a new seat on last year and the connection seems fine.

with the click from the carburetor, it has to be a safety switch, sat, brake or pto. Does battery voltage drop when you go to start position?

I will go test now. Be right back

OK>

HI, it tested 12.1 volts and this did not change when I turned the key to the accessory mode or when it tried to start the engine.

Battery s low, but not enough to make solenoid not close. Has to be a safety switch not making.

Can I bypass it till i can get a replacement?

If you can identify which switch is bad! Try jumping the seat switch.

I will try. My seat has only one switch. Back in a minute

OK>

No, it did not work.

Then the brake interlock and the pto switch and harness all need to be examined.

OK

Can you jump the starter solenoid, to see if the engine will spin? This is quick test of battery, cables and starter.

Hi, I checked them. The PTO switch feels a little on the weak side. The rest of the harnesses look ok.

I'll give it a shot

OK>

I'm able to jump the solenoid, but the engine does not turn over. Terrible place to jump start. Will have to remove side cover if we go any further.

If engine did not turn. can you tun engine by hand? Maybe battery is too low to crank, or cables are dirty?

I'll take the cables off, clean the terminals. If still nothing, I'll try boosting again.

OK> It should have turned when you umped the solenid!

Cleaned the battery terminals & clamps. Tried to boost. Still nothing
I've tried everything, other than replacing switches. I'm out of my comfort zone and going to have to bite the bullet & take it in to the JD dealership.

OK. From nothing at the solenoid, Tells me there is no voltage to start .

I see question is still open, please rate to close the question.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician