Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

I recently experienced some shifting problems in my JD 4250.

Customer Question
Hi,I recently experienced some shifting...
Hi,I recently experienced some shifting problems in my JD 4250. It has the 16 speed Powershift transmission. Tractor has 5300 hrs on it and has been religously maintained and cared for.The problem: I started tractor and drove for roughly 5-7 minutes and noticed around gear 5 or 6 that when I upshifted, I was getting no response. Tried gears 7,8,9.. still no shifting. The tractor would only move at this point in gears F1-4. I also only had Reverse gears 1 & 2, but did not budge or move in R3 or 4.I shut the tractor off and came back to it a couple days later. The tractor operator flawlessly in every single gear, including reverse 1-4. It hasn't acted up like that since. Upon driving it for 20-30 minutes, we shut engine off and we hooked up gauges to check system pressure, also checked C1 and C2 with the below readings at idle:system pressure: 170 psi
Lube pressure: 10 psi at idle
C1 & C2 : 110 psiIs that a normal reading for C1 & C2 ? I heard from someone that pressure should only deviate roughly 10psi from system pressure. If that's the case, might I have an internal leak? I have also yet to check the sump screen filter in the bottom of the transmission.It should also be noted that prior to any of this acting up, we replaced both hydraulic filters and ensured that hydraulic fluid level was showing on "full". However, I do think I may have over filled it just a bit, as the dip stick was reading above the "full" line. Could over filling with HYGARD also cause this type of behavior?Thanks,
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
8/3/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Matt, My name is***** will be glad to help. What are you getting for pressures across the board? I recommend definitely pulling the screen/filter and taking a look for metal/ friction material/debris. Overfilling should not effect the pressures in the system but internal leakage definately will. Let me know

Dan, Technician