Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

My deere 5400 makes a chattering noise while running. If you

Customer Question

my john deere 5400 makes a chattering noise while running. If you turn steering wheel, lift 3 point, or operate front loader, it stops. Is there a cure for this? It has about 1800 hrs. on it
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: it is a 5400 john deere it is a 95 mo.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: can the noise be stopped.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. It is tough to know what you are describing without hearing it from a video or something. Could be hydraulic cavitation noise, gear chatter, etc. So this will need to be determined first to know how to resolve it. Check the filters internally and oil for any metal/debris that would indicate a mechanical failure occurring that needs attention. Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you turn steering wheel, lift 3 point, operate front loader, the clattering noise stops. there appears to be too much clearance between the hydraulic pump gear and gear that drives it. the tractor only has 1800 hrs. on it. I got an email this morning saying could not get an answer to my question. So therefore i assumed there would be no answer.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

That theory can be checked by unbolting the pump and inspecting the condition of the pump drive. Let me know