Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 9190 loosing PTO, power steering, clutch

Customer Question

I have a 9190 loosing PTO, power steering, clutch intermittently, I want to know how to check pump condition. I have changed Hyd filter and I am thinking of checking screen. Thanks
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: don't have serial # tractor is in the field and it is a green 1990 9190 tractor
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: k thanks
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 11 days ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check the screen and inside the filter for metal/debris flagginf a pump or component failure occurring. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. We can follow up as needed.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I thought I might get some advise directly linked to the 9190, like check booster pump here or main pump for key shearing here and this is how you go about it. I already had a plan to pull screen I was hoping not to dump all the oil if I could do some other checks first. I change hyd filter a few days a go as my pressure alarm would come on for while off and on.I did not see any metal at all as I looked for it when I change filter. Tractor in field and 10 miles away, otherwise I would rip in to this.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 days ago.

A plugged screen will starve oil to the pump. By chance do you have the old filter? If so cut it open and check for metal PTO clutch debris in the filter paper. Squeeze the excess oil out in a vice to get a better veiw after cutting out a good size sample.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 days ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? We can follow up as needed. That was not my final answer as it was an opening question and starting suggestions to begin working with you on this. Let me know

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am working on trying to figure out how to remove the pump and open the tractor up to see what is wrong
Expert:  Dan replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for the update. Did you find anything in the screen or filter that would flag a mechanical failure? Have you had test gauges on this to see what your pressures are in the system?