Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a deere 3010 row crop tractor. The PTO slips when…

I have a john...

I have a john deere 3010 row crop tractor. The PTO slips when using a bush hog whin it puts pressure on the shaft.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

My 3010 John Deere tractor's PTO slips when putting pressure on it, like using a bush hog in heave grass.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need to know the problem and how to fix it.

6/19/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

This is a mechanical pto, with gears that the shifter engages. Only thing that can slip is the pto clutch, on the flywheel. Do you have free play in the clutch pedal, so the pressure plate can fully engage the flywheel? If so, the only way to repair is to split the tractor and replace the pto clutch disc.

I do have free play in the clutch. sounds like gears not meshing. could it be bent pins (2 pins) on the shifter rod?

If gears are not meshing, pto would not turn at all, just grind gears!

It doesn't turn at all under pressure. These pins hold the shift collar on the shaft.The problem I have now is if its the clutch disk you split the tractor at a different place than you would to replace the shift collar pins.I haven't heard from you lately. Are you finished?

To replace clutch you split at rear of engine.

I know but there another split further back behind the transmission case.

You have problem with the pto shifter, detent, where it will not stay in gear?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Pto shift fork is up front with the clutch housing.