Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2008 Deere Model 5045D tractor and have had nothing…

I have a 2008 John...
I have a 2008 John Deere Model 5045D tractor and have had nothing but problems. It was bought new and has less than 200 hours of use. I had to replace the starter twice, rebuild the fuel injector pump and now it won't start. I had it checked and some of the main engine gears and broken. I would like to know what could have caused a problem like this or did I just get a bad tractor?
6/13/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

200 hours is nothing for a tractor. Even if it is 10 years old. Starter problems with unit little used , can be low battery killing starter, and injection pump failure can be a fuel problem, where the fuel starts to grow algae from fuel getting old from lack of use. But gear train failure of engine, is not something that customer can cause, unless the engine ran away when injection pump failed.

Once the injection pump was rebuilt the tractor seemed to be running ok. I was using the loader to pick up some brush when it quit running. I tried to restart and nothing happened. I called my brother who work as an ASE certified mechanic who has worked on tractors and equipment such as this. He found the gears to be broken upon inspection of the tractor. He said he has never seen this happen on a tractor before. Am I right in feeling that John Deere should hold some responsibility for the repair of the tractor or is there an explanation. I haven't talked to the manufacturer yet. I wanted to get an outside opinion before going to them.

I do think that Deere should have some responsibility, but with a ten year old tractor, I doubt they will offer anything!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician