Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

The rear pto switch is operating spazmatially. Sometimes

Customer Question

The rear pto switch is operating spazmatially. Sometimes when I pull it up and tire it , the pto will operate. Other times it will not turn on the pto. Do I need a replacement switch? If I do, can I buy the switch and instal it myself? The tracto is a John Deere 7230.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: The pro switch on my John Deere 7230 tractor operate intermittently. How can I fix the problem?
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I turn the switch on and off several times, eventually the -to will operate.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

As you describe it, the switch can be problem, but before replacing a good switch, the solnoid that engages the pto needs to be checked for voltage. It could have a loose connection and turning switch on and off, nay let it finally make . Located on the side of the transmission housing Here is link showing the pto switch-in the dash.

pto solenoid