Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Gt 245 48 in. deck................center blade spin freely…

Customer Question
Gt 245 48 in...

Gt 245 48 in. deck................center blade spin freely wont engage other 2 blades are fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Gt 245

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes,nothing yet

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
6/3/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Belt routing has to be wrong,

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/0001/0001776290____________A1.gif

Does this look like your deck? See above link.

no three blades 2 work fine,not the center, i think my kid hit something, what would that do?

This is three blade deck. The center pulley belt has to almost wrap around the pulley, or it will not drive the blade. Belt has to have come off of pulley or idler.

the other blades work and the belt is on?

This is the GT245 deck, check the belt routing.

how could the belts get un routed? why are 2 of the 3 working? what is another answer,could hitting something damage the spindle on the one blade?

Spindle is not damaged , but it has thrown the belt off the idler. Have you checked the belt diagram I just linked?

if belt is off idler can the other 2 belts work?

YES

how does belt come off?

?? it gets slack and jumps off.

how to fix,prevent?

Here is the OM manual for the mower, look down the left side and find Service Mower, and look for Replacing deck belt secondary. It gives instruction for replacement. To keep it from happening again, don't hit objects that will stop the blades!

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM148971_I2/Output/Index.html?tM=