Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere Pro Gator with a worn out yanmar gas engine…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere Pro Gator with a worn out yanmar gas engine in it. I would like to replace it with a diesel engine from an overstock or surplus place. Can you give me the correct replacement engine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

The yanmar gas engine (3TG72) is known for having many issues. I would like to replace it with a diesel one but yanmar is not helpful about which ones are replaceable. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I hope that will do

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Here is the info off the engine tag. CH3009G003792 (SN) and 3009G001 (MODEL)
5/30/2017
Mechanic: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 5 years ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

There is no direct replacement, so any engine is going to need some modifications to work properly. Electrical will be the most work normally. I would use the Yanmar 3TN66C-EJUV in this machine if I were you.

Jon, I can handle some electrical rewire. I am concerned that the block will bolt up to my bellhousing etc. Also, the hydraulic pump is a direct mount to the front of engine. Can you assure me that this will be a simple cross over other than electrical? Once the new motor is shipped they are very hard and expensive to return. thanks, Loren

No it will not work. I was not even thinking about the fitting of the bell housing at the time I responded, I apologize. I also do not see on the diesel engine where you would mount the hydraulic pump. have you consulted with your local JD Dealer about this project? it sounds like you have a plan and the knowledge to do this swap, but the things that will be involved with doing so are great.