Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a JD 4710 sprayer with steering issues. JD did alot

Customer Question

I have a JD 4710 sprayer with steering issues. JD did alot of work in their shop this winter. now it serpintines down through the field. weve made adjustment phone to phone, but nothing yet. Any help would appreciated.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: thanx
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: ummm...Im working with Frontline Ag here in Montana.....Steve Moodie. I can give a number if needed.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll add this. I told my dealer that the sprayer goes down through the field back and forth not bad enough to throw you out of the cab, but enough to make you car sick. last winter in the Frontline Ag shop, they worked on a hub that was loose and changed a bunch of bushings. Frontline Ag number is(###) ###-####if you want to check with them as to what they did. Steve said something about a valve to adjust oil to steering. I couldn't find said valve on this machine. any help greatly appreciated..... I should be in the field. thanx
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. However I can not call your service guy at the other shop. Bare with me whil I see what I have on this model.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

First check for any worn linkage and tie rod ends and for any play in the steering. If okay you will want to check for the cylinder seals to see if they are bypassing internally causing the steering to wander. If so you will need to reseal the steering cylinders. If that is okay the problem is likely in the steering control valve and is worn internally. let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

If there are any loose bushings and tie rod ends, etc in the steering components, they will need to be addressed before the hydraulic circuit can function properly and get this to stop wandering.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it was in the Frontline Ag shop this winter and they supposedly went through all bushings and wear parts
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i appreciate it, I think this will take a JD tech. all things youve mentioned are first steps.....and those should have been covered in shop last winter. got any other brainstorms... Im flexible....but Ill check back with F.A.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You are talking to a prior Nortrax John Deere technician. If all is tight with no doubt and you are 100% sure they covered this then the cylinder needs to be pressure tested for internal bypass. Deadhead one direction and crack loose the opposite hose to confirm there is no pressure coming over to the other port with a drip pan underneath. If okay you are looking at resealing/rebuilding the steering valve. Once apart if there is scoring on the machined surfaces or it is out of OEM specs in the manual it shouldnt be reused as it will never perform right.