Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Deere 9650 Combine Cylinder speed is registering zero on the

Customer Question

John Deere 9650 Combine Cylinder speed is registering zero on the monitor.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Last fall in the canola the concave opener also would not register anything but zero even though it was determined that the concave was open
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband is fixing himself. Have almost twin 9660 and he has physically measured the distance on the 9660 and then emulated that measurement of the 9650 to allow the machine to keep working. Played with the switch up and down, will sometimes briefly register a value and then return to zero
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should cover it.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Are there any error codes being thrown? Test the swutches for continuity on both open and closed positions and inspect the wiring harness for damage or corrosion as well as the connector pins. Try a wiggle test on the harness to see if the full functions return indicating a poor connection in the wiring harness. If okay then the next step is to have the John deere software reprogrammed and updated in the controller as this can reveal a software issue or possible failed controller itself it the wiring and switches test okay. Click on this link fo access to the operation an maintenance manual for reference if needed. Let me know

Maintenance