Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Old onan tractor engine has intermittent spark to one

Customer Question

old onan tractor engine has intermittent spark to one cylinder proved with use of a timing light, other cylinder is completely consistent. Has new plugs, gap 0.025, new point and a new coil and new wires.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

All things equal, I wonder if the plunger for the points is opening the points the same amount for each cylinder. Could have lobe that pushes the plunger ,worn enough that points are not opening the same amount on both cyliders. Check point gap at each position and try closing point gap a bit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does not make sense to me, both cylinders fire at the same time, there is only one cam lube in play so if one fires consistently and the other does not, I have to ask why. If both Cyls were affected then the cam lobe theory would work, but that is not the case here.

nothing about it makes any sense. my thought was it has two lobes , 180 out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
B43 engine, both fire at the same time ond on the 180 lobe tbey fire again but it is meaning less sinse it isnt the compression stroke

OK> I will opt out and see if someone else has seen this. Maybe Hank will answer. Please do not respond to me , or it will lock the question to me. Sorry.