Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a JD 5420. the 3pt hitch is slow to rise. It is also

Customer Question

I have a JD 5420. the 3pt hitch is slow to rise. It is also slow to move when put into F and R. I have cleaned and replaced all filters or screens.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: JD 5420
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: LV5420P446593 Its my Father in laws I have a background in hydraulics and automotive. I ran the tractor to verify the issue
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: After running a 3pt rotter tiller at low speed the brakes are very weak and have to be pumped. It takes a few seconds for the tractor to start moving....but it would not move in a higher shift range than A
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** the filter/screen for metal/debris indicating a pump or other internal failure occurring and creating a restriction of flow to the pump as well. Look for burnt /discolored oil as well. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cleaned the suction filter next to pto output. My father in law changed the filter and oil. When I drained the oil it smelled burnt and discolored.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The hydraulics that are plugged into the accessory ports operate normally the the brakes, 3pt lift and transmission that operate very slowly
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

3-point Hitch Fails To Lift

Low oil level.

Worn hydraulic pump.

Rate of drop valve closed.

Excessive load on hitch.

Hydraulic oil too cold.

Hydraulic oil suction filter plugged.

3-point Hitch Lifts Slowly

Suction side filter may need replacement.

Worn hydraulic pump.

3-point Hitch Drops Slowly Or Does Not Drop

Rate-of-drop valve closed.

Rate-of-drop valve set too slowly.

3-point Hitch Drops Too Fast

Rate-of-drop set too fast.

Load too heavy.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Since other functions are effected I am leaning towards a worn pump rather than the drop rate valve unless you have multiple problems going on.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?