Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a jd la125, it was mowing fine when it shut down as…

Customer Question
I have a jd...

I have a jd la125, it was mowing fine when it shut down as if a kill switch went off... Can't get it to start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I can't find it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looking for thoughts before I start

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/22/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Is the engine cranking over, just not starting?Or nothing from key? have you checked the fuse, behind engine, near the starter solenoid?

Cranks good, No fire

Briggs single cylinder engine. In the carburetor there is an electric solenoid, do you hear it click if you flip key on and off?

I checked fuse looks good

Do you hear the fuel solenoid when you flip key on and off?

I don't here a click ,turns over goodNo

Solenoid has to open as soon as key is turned on, or cylinder gets no fuel. It plugs the main jet, and has to retract with key on and has t have 12 volts to operate. Check it for voltage, if it has voltage and does not click (retract) solenoid may be problem.

Ok Thanks

If solenoid checks out, see if you have spark, by removing spark plug and grounding it to the engine , and crank and watch for spark at the tip of the spark plug. No spark on Briggs, remove the kill wire to coil, and check again. No spark with kill wire removed shows a bad coil.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?