Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have the service manual for the Kubota BX2200. It has a…

I have the service...

I have the service manual for the Kubota BX2200. It has a rear axle seal leak. Ihave the instructions for replacement plus read a post you. My question is how do I remove the seal from the housing, which is the first step after removing the tire? Also do I not need to also drain the fluid first?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Don't know. Will do get it. Will take a few minutes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

BX2200D, S/N 50024

2/11/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

You have to go insdie the rear axle housing, and remove the snap ring on th einner axle shaft, then the axle shaft can be pulled out, then you can pull out the outer seal! Removing the wheel really does not do anything as far as getting to the seal!

Use a self tapping metal screw ,screwed into the metal of the seal, and use a hammer with claw to pull on the screw.

I understand what you are saying, however i am perplexed that the service manual only indicated remove wheel, seal, clip, then axle. Any insight? Also do i have to drop the transmission from the frame in order to access as you indicated?

You can remove the top cover, and go down from the top, to get to the snap ring, not easy, but you don't have to remove the transmission, or go through the rear, where pto shaft can be removed.

Hello Curtis,
Thanks for your reply. I looked at the transaxle case. There is a welded to the frame bracket that attaches to the top cover (option A) that you suggested removing. Therefore it appears to me that I either have to lower the transaxle from the frame, OR possibly remove the fuel tank which requires removal of the sheet metal body which requires removal of the ROPS. None of this seems right to me based on our conversation, thus wanted to run it by you once more. What do you think?Also, the PTO cover (option B) is rather small and positioned such that it does not seem I could access the axle very well. All of this makes me wonder too, how far inside the axle cover is the inner clip that we are trying to remove?

Snap ring is holding the inner axle gear in place, so it is in about an inch from outside. Removing rops and seat and rear fenders is required to get top cover off, but from my experience , you have to do that too, if you move transmission back to remove from the frame. Replacing the seal is not an easy job! I had bad pto clutch, so I had to remove the transmission from frame.

Okay, finally the answer i needed, take it to the dealer. Thx.

!! Sorry, that may be the case, not an easy job, but the one I had was Brother in law! Please rate using 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit! Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Following up, I discovered that the original information I had was correct. To replace the axle seals, you do not enter the transmission, rather you remove the wheel, drain fluid, remove the seal, remove the internal C-clip, pull the axle, remove the bearing retainer clip, remove bearing and internal c-clip, remove seal from axle and replace. Installation is just the reverse. The answer to my original primary concern, how to remove the seal from the housing, it is a flanged cartridge seal that is removed by simply prying between the housing and the flange. In the end, after spending >$120 on unnecessary seal removal tools and the Just Answer site, the job was rather simple and easy. Now I know and wanted you to know as well. Not upset, just sharing information.

Good job! Thanks for the information!