Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I'm working on a Kubota tractor, model L3130D, serial number…

Customer Question
I'm working on a Kubota...
I'm working on a Kubota tractor, model L3130D, serial number 31642, the tractor intermittently stalls, after a brief time tractor will restart, but, if you try to restart immediately, the tractor will only stay running a couple seconds and stall again. History, customer says the problem started about a year ago, sometimes a couple of days apart, and, is slowly getting worse, now, no more than a couple hours, at best. He spoke a to a Kubota tech. they suggested replacement of the fuel cutoff solenoid, OPC relay, and start relay, which I did without troubleshooting @ the customers request. The problem persists, The fuel solenoid is losing the power, when it dies, this problem is getting expensive, so far @ customer request, I'd like to take a different approach. Any help would be appreciated. I got a diagram from the dealer, but they didn't have a schematic to troubleshoot with.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/26/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Kubota is not known for there schematics! But their service manual would have one. I do not!. But you know it is loosing voltage to the fuel solenoid. Have you checked the engine oil and temperature sensors? Has to be a sensor that is affecting the voltage. There is a simple fix , to let tractor run, Remove the solenoid, and Just install a pull cable to the kill lever on the speed control cover, that is there.

The fuel solenoid on this tractor mounts on the front of the timing cover, pulling it's shaft in, allowing the fuel into the pressure building part of the pump. I will have to make an adapter and jumper to bypass the tractor wiring.

Removing the solenoid and plugging the hole will do it. Then use the kill lever on the top to kill engine.

# 100, is the kill lever, same as this model. See picture below link.

Yes, very similar.

solenoid is convenient, but kill cable to lever is cheap fix!

First let me say the solenoid is behind a bracket that holds the steering hoses, and wiring harness, and must be partially removed to access the solenoid. No problem, just time, the kill lever is there, but, no cable to deal with, what next?

I was just saying the solenoid kill with key is more convenient than pull cable.

Sorry, I misunderstood, and I do agree.

Check all the engine sensors, to try and figure out if one is shutting off the power to fuel solenoid, then go from there!

Oil and temperature sensors are only connected to the dash warning lights. I was hoping you might have some schematics, as the manual only has a diagram.

You knw the fuel shutoff looses voltage, follow the wire that drops power back to it's source using the wire color and see where it goes. May not be going back to the OPC .

Curtis, since you weren't able to provide any "new" information on the shut down circuit I was forced to purchase an online manual, to gain the circuit information. I believe I have isolated the problem to the seat switch, which the customer tells me he has had tied down the tractors whole life. The manual tells me there is no engine shut down system for engine oil, or temperature, but, there is under certain conditions, the OPC will shut the engine down. The seat switch is a 3 position switch, in the lowered, or, fully raised position the OPC timer, and, subsequently, the "key on" relay are supplied 12V, in the middle position, the voltage goes through the PTO sensor, cutting power if on. I have temporarily bypassed the seat switch to test my theory, so far so good, the tractor has run flawlessly for 2.5 hours, it's longest run in months.

So he made his own problem by not using the seat switch! Thanks for the reply.