Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 1996 JD 550 GTC pedal steer dozer. I have a 1996 JD

Customer Question

I have a 1996 JD 550 GTC pedal steer dozer.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: I have a 1996 JD 550 GTC pedal steer dozer VIN # TO550GL795546. I am having a problem steering to the left. The right side works fine. The dozer runs straight if I am not touching the pedals. When I depress the left pedal it stops the dozer the right track sometimes pulls a little but then stops. I played with the adjustments and made the left side linkage approx the same as the right linkage but I can'e make it any better. Any suggestions?? Thanks ***** *****
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Ig the adjustments are correct and even with the linkage it is likely that you have worn clutches. brake assemblies causing the mistracking. Check for friction material and debris after draining and servicing the steering clutch housings that would indicate excessive wear and a problem. Let me know